Sunday, February 14, 2010

Fess Up!


Confession is said to be good for the soul. I'd like to think -- your soul not mine. But the hard facts are that when George Barna surveyed tens of thousands of people that don't profess Christianity and asked -- what are the three characteristics that come to mind when you think of Christians in America this is what they said:



#1. They hate homosexuals


#2. They are judgmental


#3. They are hypocrites


If I weren't already a convinced believer I don't think that this is a group I'd call for a fun Saturday night. Well, maybe the hypocrites -- they might lead to some interesting possibilities.
I read a story about a group of Christians on a California campus that set up a tent in the center of campus and posted a large sign outside that read


CONFESSIONS


Well, that tent flap wasn't doing much flapping.
The Fraternity, Goth, Tree Huggin', Preppy, Computer Sciences, and Anthropology crowd just rolled their eyes and walked right by. Not interested -- not even a little.
On a dare one of the fraternity pledges was forced to enter the tent.
What he found inside caught him totally off guard.
Inside were a few campus Christians who thanked him for coming and then they began to confess their sins to him.


"We're judgmental -- we're hypocrites... we're confused about sexuality issues...."


When word got out what was going on in the tent that old tent flap started really swinging in the breeze. Students who dismissed the Christian group now were a little curious about what they represented and the student body felt safer and more understood in their presence. Relationships changed and both groups gained wisdom.
Let me just confess this:
Your sins are not paramount on my to do list. I've got enough post it notes on my own regrets board to worry about yours.
But, would you consider coming to my church and under that architecturally beautiful roof that points to a gospel of Grace could we share our hearts and stories? If we both modeled Jesus' example maybe you could encourage me to be a better follower of His. Your bravery might make me braver. Your faith might make me more literal.
Who knows I might even get so caught up in the whole relationship -- I might even confess to you and Him -- and be set free.


James 5:15-17 (The Message)
13-15Are you hurting? Pray. Do you feel great? Sing. Are you sick? Call the church together to pray and anoint youself with oil in the name of Jesus. Believing-prayer will heal you, and Jesus will put you on your feet. And if you've sinned, you'll be forgiven—healed inside and out.
16-18Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed. The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.

No comments:

Post a Comment