Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Nappy

Every afternoon of my life my mother has waltzed up the stairs at 3:00 pm for her nap.  She might be perky at 2:45 but by 2:59 she is getting sleepy -- very sleepy.
I inherited her love of naps.

Nap Time

No - I did not take a nap -
The nap - took - me
off the bed and out the window
far beyond the sea,
to a land where sleepy heads
read only comic books
and lock their naps in iron safes
so that they can't get took.
"I did not take that nap," I cried,
"I give my solemn vow,
and if I took it by mistake
I do not have it now."

"Oh fiddle-fudge," cried out the judge,
your record looks quite sour.
Last night I see you stole a kiss,
Last week you took a shower,
"You beat your eggs, you've whipped your cream,
at work you punched the clock,
You've even killed an hour or two,
we've heard you darn your socks.
We know you shot a basketball,
you've stolen second base,
and we can see you're guilty
from the sleep that's on your face.

"Go lie down on your blanket now
and cry your guilty tears.
I sentence you to one long nap
for ninety million years.

Shel Silverstien


No comments:

Post a Comment