Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What Cost Beauty?

Freckles!


When you are a freckly little girl and the whole world is full of Cheryl Tiegs look a likes the desire to be your version of beautiful can drive you to desperate measures.
Now that I'm in my 60s I see some things never change.
Last week at the beach the "Big Sister Girls' had plenty of conversations about lotions, potions, and the loss of our youthful beauty.
From the drug store to Canyon Ranch we have spent our pin money on the hope of turning back the clock.
Truth be told we all still look like we are just about on the conveyer belt of life in the same condition we would have been without the "cures".
I am reminded of my desperate measure to erase the freckles.
My cousins told me of a secret they had read in a magazine. Guaranteed to work. Cow manure.
Lucky me -- Mommy and Poppie Sumner lived on a farm. I had full access to the magic potion.
Imagine my surprise ( and my cousin's halarious laughter) after one very fragrant night of restless sleep when I looked in Poppie's shaving mirror and I still looked like me. Freckles and all.
It's still the same old story.

I Peter 3
3Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. 5For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I missed you so much! Glad you are back, and I think you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete