Thursday, May 20, 2010

Will You Pray Me?

Yesterday my friend Mary called to let me know her cousin is very ill and suffering from extreme pain. All I knew to do was offer to come and pray for her.
Mary explained that Christine is not a exclusively a believer in Jesus . I totally understand but in these situations all I know to do is pray or cook and her cousin has nausea so -- there you go.
I asked Mary to put my offer out there.
Mary called me back and said her cousin would like for me to come.
It made me teary to think of the humility in Christine's request. She was so quiet and dear as we prayed. I know those prayers were delivered.
I had dashed off some scriptures on praying for the sick and read them before we began.

James 5

The Prayer of Faith


13 Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. 14Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.

It was a blessing for me to be asked to pray and it got me to thinking -- do I often humble myself and give the blessing of asking someone to pray for me?

Today on my walk home with our dog I saw this lovely woman sitting on a bench near our front yard at the Duck Pond. She was reading her Bible and after we said "Hello" I asked her if she is a praying woman.
"Yes" she said and I asked her if she could pray for my Daughter in Law's mother who is having emergency surgery today.
She was delighted and I could tell she is a woman of her word -- and God's word too.
As I was preparing lunch for a friend I saw my pray-er still perched on the bench so I shuttled out a glass of the iced chai tea I'd prepared.
We exchanged names and as I was getting ready to head back to my kitchen another of our Pond Pals rolled up on their bikes.
 This was the couple who generously adopted (on the spot) one of the kittens left to die under a trash can at the park last winter.
Introductions were made and more tea was shuttled.
It was a  regular love fest!
We each departed feeling like the world is full of good folks no matter what FOX news has to report tonight.
All because of the simple act of asking - would you pray for me?
Thank you Christine.

No comments:

Post a Comment