Saturday, April 18, 2009

Revenge of the Nerds




I have spent way too much time wondering and dissecting the tidal wave of coverage for Susan Boyle's overnight fame. (See "The Kingdom of God is Upside Down" post)
Seems like we all felt a kinship with her. Maybe most of us feel awkward and our days more often than not are tests of willpower in overcoming our insecurities?
I've always told my children that the secret to life is to look one way and be another. It is the contrasts that make life (and people) interesting. Thank you Susan for making my point.
I want to believe I can have Ms. Boyle's "moment" too. But am I willing to have lived on this earth for 47 years and never been kissed? Or to have passed up the perks of a career and a family while caring for my elderly mother?

Acceptance
to be unhappy in God's plan for us is sin,
to wish i were married instead of single .... single rather than married.
that my husband looked like someone else's husband, or had a better more prestigious job like another man. to wish i had a house like mary's or that we drove a car like john's....
to be emotionally crippled because other women have babies and i do not....
or furs and diamonds.
to cling to illusions....to believe them...to compare our lives...to find the grass greener somewhere else.
it is sin.
it spoils God's creativity in me where i am now.
it minimises everything He could do for me.
no one...absolutely no one...has everything.
anyone who has accomplished something significant in life
has done so with sacrifice and pain.
anne kimmel

No comments:

Post a Comment