Monday, October 12, 2009

Before and After

So there we stand in our Sunday best singing hymns. I heard an old pastor say one time "We sing more lies than we tell."
Ohhhhhhhhhhh those lofty words and sentiments. But I can testify that God's 'rag tag army' is willing to be made willing to be all that He intended us to be.
Yesterday we sang a hymn in church that was so clear about God's intentions for me after I let go and let Him -- run my life. It focused me on the goal. It made me stand up a little straighter and encouraged me to be the change He wants in this world.

The words were from the Iona Community and the music was a traditional Scottish tune.
Will you come and follow Me?
Will you come and follow me if I call your name? Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?
Will you leave yourself behind -- Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stare should your life attract or scare
And admit to what I mean in you and you in me?
Will you love the 'you' you hide if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Lord your summons echoes true when you but call my name. Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.
In your company I'll go where your love and footprints show.
Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me.

1 comment: