Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Laugh's on Me!

I'm afraid I used to take myself way to seriously. My self esteem hinged on being cool or right or special.
When I gave up the control of my life to Jesus something died and most of that self conscience perspective fell away as I tucked myself under His wing and let Him sort it out.
The ability to often laugh at myself was a newly acquired freedom I found. Good thing because I have ample opportunities to exercise that benefit.
Yesterday morning I flounced into the Beaver Street Farmer's Market in fine spirits. Fresh, cheap, abundant food is my kind of heaven.
About eight cartons of $1.00 blueberry pints, a couple dozen fresh eggs, and a bushel of Georgia peaches into it a sweet faced lady came up to me and said, "Your skirt is hiked up in the back." She said it with such casualness that I assumed it was just a minor tuck.
Ohhhh contrair. The back of my billowy skirt was all the way and ever so neatly tucked into my 100% ready for summer, No-body's Secret, cotton underpants. I had essentially mooned every Hispanic or African American male vendor at the market.
Let me just say that before Jesus was my CEO this incident would have sent me home immediately never to grace the five for a dollar mangoes again.

Galations 5:1
1It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery (to pride).

But I'm here to say that after a proper blush and wardrobe adjustment I was able to stay and finish my mission.
I hope those who haven't chosen my path can at least be encouraged or amused by the gift of my freedom.
Today is the 5th of July and I'm still celebrating Freedom -- from me.





No comments:

Post a Comment