Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Junk Brothers



"Hello my name is Suzanne and I'm a HGTV addict." That is Home and Garden channel for those of you who don't obsess about napkin folding and pillow arranging.
One of the shows I really love is called "The Junk Brothers"
These fellows drive around on the night before trash day and pick up people's large trash items. No big deal I happen to know -- OK it's me -- people who do that all of the time. Here's what sets The Brothers apart:
They take it home and turn it into something beautiful and useful. Then they take the same piece back to the original owners and put it on their front porch, ring the door bell and run.
There is a camera guy hiding somewhere with a really good camera who catches the owner's responses.
First confusion.
Then recognition of their item.
Then elation over their redeemed furniture.
They can't drag that treasure into their house fast enough!
I have never seen anyone just admire the piece and walk away.
It got me to thinking about God and how he is a Junk Brother.
Here is a poem that was read in church this morning:

Love III George Herbert (1593 - 1633)
Love (God) bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back,
Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack
From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning
If I lack anything.

"A guest" I answered "worthy to be here"
Love said, "You shall be she."
"I(?) the unkind, ungrateful? Ahhh my dear
I cannot look on thee."
"Who made the eyes but I?"

"True, Lord but I have marred them; let my shame
Go where it doth deserve."
"And know you not" says Love "Who bore the blame?" (Jesus)
"My dear then I will serve."
(No says Love) "You must sit down and eat my meat"
So I did sit and eat.

I hope that in this season of gift giving none of us are too proud or broken down in our own mess that we don't receive the gift of Love (God).
Here is a prayer of receiving:
"God I am not even sure if you are real but if You are would you receive me and feed me and make Yourself known to me in a way that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that You are?
I promise to keep my eyes and heart open. I've made a mess of my life and now I'm ready to let You set the table and feed me."

1 comment: