Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Good Night Moon

Have you seen the Harvest moon these last last few nights?  I try to make it a habit to go outside on the deck off of our bedroom each night before bed and take it into my heart.
He smiles at me -- you know.
There is a poet from Kentucky (Papa Joe's and my home state) that writes poems that settle my soul.  His name is Wendell Berry.
The Peace of Wild Things
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake 
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief.  I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel the day-blind stars
waiting with their light.  For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

No comments:

Post a Comment