Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Carrying An Unknow Friend

I wish I knew how to just plunk another blog post in mine.  But I don't.  So I'm pasting today's post from
www.urbanlittlehouse.blogspot.com

In the wee hours of the morning today, a woman crept into my vision, then into my heart, and I have carried her piggy back all day long. She is a mother, just like me, and my same age. Her children, like mine, are off at school or in jobs in other cities. She likes to journal, enjoys decorating her home, loves her alone time, and collects old photographs. I live in Kentucky. She lives in Japan. And right now all she knows, all she wants to know is that her children are somewhere safe, to hear their voices, to know that they are out of all harm’s way.

A simple question, “What would I do if.......?” and there she was, and all day long as I've watched or read news, I have seen it through her eyes. She and I are a rather unwieldy entanglement. I have carried her sadness as mine all day long, and can't shake it tonight.
Dear Other Mother who I do not know- I will pray for your children as my own. I will pray for you. I will hold out the hope of a day to come when you may write in your journal, set a red pitcher on a table, tuck photos of your grandchildren into a book, fall asleep easily in your own bed.

My unknown friend is a mother who is tending her young children away from their home in a foreign place. Maybe a shelter or the streets. She is listening on the street for resources and trying to keep her children's innocence in the midst of horror.
If there are missionaries near you please seek them out and let them minister to your needs.  You are not alone.

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you mean by "I have carried her sadness as mine all day long" I do the same thing at times. I had an especially difficult time for weeks after 9-11.

    ReplyDelete