Friday, March 11, 2011

Yeah - Right?

I've believed for awhile that the slang of the moment reflects the subconscious of our society.  We are keeping all of our options on religion open but when we are taken by surprise -- good or bad -- we can't repress an "Oh, my God!" 
Hmmmm. 
This season we are punctuating our statements with "Yeah, right?"
My adorable Nate Berkus says it so often that by the end of the show I want to sidle up to my TV and say to Nate "Maybe -- maybe not."
Being "right" has become our national fix.
I spend a lot of my life pushing crumbs up hills.  To me it seems like a big deal.  Like it is the whole universe.  The right thing to do at the time.
But from God's perspective it must be another thing all together.  What seems "right" might just be silly in the context of the whole universe.
So I try to stick my nose in the Bible on a regular basis.  Get a little "Righteousness Mo-Jo" to rub off on me.  My one way conversations with Him (me doing all of the talking and Him just listening to me prattle on and on). don't seem to get me far.
There is a verse I ran across that made me sit strait up in my chair and sharpen my pencil.
Matthew 7
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me...
 
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

 
This morning when our dear brothers and sisters in Japan looked up and saw that tsunami coming I don't think they said "Really, seriously, are you kidding me?"
I think it went something like this...
OMG

No comments:

Post a Comment