Sunday, May 24, 2009

Dinner Disasters Part #3 A Dog-Gone Good Dinner

Have you ever seen a dog smile? We have.

Our friends the Bickharts and their five children were coming for dinner and I decided that a turkey breast would be a delicious kid-friendly entree. Oh, the Thanksgiving-esk aromas wafted!

Food Network had taught me that a turkey needs to rest before slicing so I placed the turkey on the island then went to spiff myself up before the doorbell rang.

Joe called up the stairs,"What was that sound?"

"I don't know could you check it out?"

What he found was BJ Honeycutt (lab) and Sam Pickens (pointer) enjoying the turkey breast. When they looked up at him he swears they were smiling floppy ear to ear. Their eyes said, "Dad is the BEST -- he gave us turkey breast!"

After explaining the situation to me Joe volunteered to go to Acme and buy another turkey. I figured that if we did that dinner would be ready oh, lets say about 2:00 am?

So I channeled my inner Julia Child, sliced up the best side of the turkey (conveniently recalling that dogs mouths hardly have any bacteria at all) and proudly placed it on our fanciest platter.

I gave Joe the evil eye and begged him to not breath a word.

Dinner was great we even had leftover turkey.

Joe passed -- something about allergies as I recall.

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny! Yes, I imagine those dogs WERE smiling after devouring a luscious turkey breast. Good save on your part though! I've had my share of dinner disasters. :-)

    Thanks for visiting my new blog.

    ReplyDelete