Friday, May 22, 2009

Theme Posts -- Dinner Disasters Part 1 Oh, When the Ants Come Marching In.......


As a new bride living in Philadelphia each season my Yankee home revealed new botanical surprises. Imagine my delight as our driveway burst forth in rows and rows of peonies! I was unfamiliar with this species of flower but it was love at first sight. They were breathtaking, they were plentiful and they were mine all mine.

We had invited an enormous crowd of people to sit at the enormous dining room table that we had written into the contract of our new home. I understood that in decor size does matter so I was thrilled to create a giant centerpiece for my favorite price -- free. It looked smashing and I decided this new to me flower was my new fav.

Here's a botanical secret about peonies,(at least it was a secret to me) each bud is covered with a sweet sticky goo that requires an ant to eat in order for it to open and bloom. Peonies have stowaway ants hidden in the blossoms.

Dinner cooked, wine poured, blessing said. And then......And then... you know where this is going don't you?

At first we politely smooched the little caissons as they marched across the linen table cloth. Then we tried to barricade them with butter dishes, salt and pepper shakers and finally we waved our white napkins in surrender to them and moved the feast to the living room couches, chairs and floor. It gave a whole new meaning to the term "sit down dinner".

I guess every host and hostess hopes their event will be a memorable one. That one surely was.

But an interesting thing happened after that party. We received many reciprocal invitations from folks who had attended.
I believe our not throwing the perfect dinner party made us safe to other's adventures in hospitality. If nothing else they knew they had guests with a good party ice breaker story.
Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment