Friday, January 1, 2010

Burn Baby Burn




New Years Eve we invited the neighbors over for a bon fire. I love a fire.
In Philadelphia we always had a huge fire on Christmas night. "The baby Jesus bourbon bon fire". All fall Joe would mound up the yard trash (8 acres worth!) and on Christmas night throw a match on it. Friends would bring their families and we'd sit around and decompress from a hectic day. The bourbon enhanced apple cider helped mellow us out enough to just stare at the blaze that would turn into magic land embers.
One friend's daughter brought her date (a first date mind you) and they stayed late into the night and fell in love. Now they are married with three kids.
Fire is dangerous and beautiful just like life.
I don't want a safe life. I hope to have a fiery one. So this year I resolve to burn with exciting adventures.
Learn something new. (Yoga? French?)
Become a friend with someone outside my circle. (Mentor a child at the failing school in our area?)
Travel to a place not on the top 100 places to go before I die.

"My candle burns at both ends It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light."
from Edna St. Vincent Millay.

No comments:

Post a Comment