Monday, March 22, 2010

Family Traits


There is nothing like a family funeral to remind you of who you are -- unless it is two family funerals in the same week.

The same funeral home, visitation times, church, and preacher on Tuesday and Saturday. A lot of sameness there.
In both services the pastor delicately expressed " Aunt Nanny (Or Denise at the next service) had the gift of uhhhh, ummm, ohhh let's see, you could call it -- the gift of gab."
He told of a time when Aunt Nanny received an anonymous tee shirt that said, "I'm talking and I can't shut up."
Once when her daughter Denise was volunteering for the Golden Retriever Rescue Association her friend heard her dial the phone to a family whose mother had died and left behind a dog. The conversation went on for 30 minutes. After Denise hung up Jane commented that they must have been having a tough time.
"Well, actually I dialed the wrong number but that lady really needed someone to talk to" Denise responded.
Talk about coming face to face with your DNA!
We are quite the chatters in this family.
We all have definite ideas and want to make them perfectly clear.
It can be a gift.


Here is a poem that Aunt Nanny made sure would be read at her funeral:


I'm Free
Don't grieve for me for now I'm free.
I'm following the path that God has chosen for me.
I took His hand when I heard Him call
I turned my back and left it all.
I could not stay another day
To laugh to love to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way.
I've now found the peace at the end of the day.
My life's been full I've savored much
Good friends good times a loved ones touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief
Don't lengthen your pain with undue grief.
Lift up you heart and peace to thee
God wanted me now -- He has set me free!
Shannon Lee Mosley
(Handwritten note by Aunt Nanny after the poem...
I want this read by someone in my family. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment