Thursday, March 11, 2010

Read It and Weep -- And Laugh a Lot Too

Have you ever read a book and thought -- she's me?
That was my connection to this book. Not that I always admired her or agreed with her decisions it is just that she did and concluded and behaved like me. It was a reassuring relief to meet her.
The story is told through a series of letters over a lifetime.
There is a scene in a train box car that is so poignant and raw that when I got to that part while waiting in a doctor's office all I could do was weep and worry that other patients thought I must be in the last stages of some dreadful disease. There seemed to be a lot of scooting away from my side of the lobby.
My girlfriend Katy and I got to see it performed as a one woman play last weekend and it did not disappoint.
No biographies about me when I'm gone (as if...) -- it's been done and the title is "A Woman of Independent Means."

No comments:

Post a Comment